UMOYA WASEKASI BY MONKEYBIZ – MADE IN KHAYELITSHA
Monkeybiz’s African Totem Pole for V & A Waterfront
There’s a story to be told about the spirit of the township & people are finally ready to listen. The team from V & A Waterfront have selected Monkeybiz to create one of eight Travelling Totems that will be part of their Christmas installation in celebration of local artists and craftsmen.
25 bead artists and 1 wire artist were involved in the creation of the Monkeybiz Totem, beading a total of 22x 3D items and 1x large mat consisting of 21 different portraits.
Each piece plays an integral role in the story our Totem tells:
- Sun & Moon: representing the cycle of life
- Bead Artist Dolls: representing the bead artists
- Portrait mats: representing family and women empowerment
- Houses: representing homes
- Trees: representing growth
- Animals: representing lifestyle
- People: representing community